Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes is the fifth fighting game made by Capcom with characters from Marvel Comics, and the third game in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. What makes this title unique compared to X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, is that this game features characters from numerous Capcom franchises such as Mega Man, Captain Commando and Strider, rather than just Street Fighter characters.
|Pure & Fur|
Final Boss Edit
- Onslaught: Can be selected once the player completes the game once with any team of characters in the Playstation version. Unlocked on Dreamcast version after unlocking all secret characters. Onslaught is located below Wolverine.
Beta Character Edit
- Tomichin: A character found in the game's coding. It is speculated to be a beta testing character.
Story EditThe game takes place within the Marvel comic continuity, as Professor Charles Xavier calls out for heroes to stop him before he merges with the consciousness of Magneto and becomes the being known as Onslaught, the final boss.
While the gameplay was typical of the Marvel vs. Capcom series, Marvel vs. Capcom was distinguishable by two features: the ability to summon assist characters, and the Duo Team Attack.
Unlike the later games in the series, the point character of a Marvel vs. Capcom team could not summon the offscreen partner for an assist attack; instead, an assist character was randomly selected before the match began. This character could be summoned a limited number of times in battle to attack the opponent in parallel. Codes could be used to force the system to select a certain assist character.
The Duo Team Attack allowed a player to control both characters on his or her team simultaneously for a brief period of time; the characters had unlimited use of their hyper combos during this time. Since some characters had hard-to-avoid super moves that did substantial damage if blocked, the Duo Team Attack led to tactics that were oriented around activating it before your opponent could. Since the PlayStation port only allowed one character to play a point, a Duo Team Attack would call the assist character repeatedly without cost during its duration.
Playstation Port Edit
The PlayStation version of the game differs from the arcade version, in that players are unable to switch characters on-the-fly, reducing the secondary character to an assist role only. Significantly, this removes the tag-team aspect of the game, which is considered by some to be one of its defining characteristics. The PlayStation version instead offers a "Cross over" mode where each player chooses one character, and the second character for each team is a mirror of the opponent's pick. In this mode, the players may switch characters at will, but the teams must always be identical. This compromise is most likely necessitated by the console's small memory size -- the use of identical teams alleviates the memory requirements.
- Marvel vs. Capcom holds the least number of 15 selectable fighters in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. This surpases X-Men vs. Street Fighter that holds 17 selectable fighters.
- This game holds second for the most number of characters that carries 4 or more Hyper Combos. There are 6 characters in all and they are: Ryu, Jin, Morrigan, Chun-Li, Zangief and Wolverine.
- Ryu has the ability to switch between his own movesets and that of Ken and Akuma in this game; one of the PS version's loading screens dubbed him "Complete Change Ryu".
- Chun-Li's theme is a remix of her original theme from Street Fighter II .
- Ryu's theme in the game is a remix of the title theme from the original Street Fighter II.
- Roll's theme in the game is a remix of her special ending theme song from Mega Man Battle & Chase entitled "Kaze yo Tsutaete" (Winds, Let Him Know).
- Mega Man's theme is a remix of the opening title screen music of Mega Man 2. He also has his own unique victory music when he wins a match, which is the same victory fanfare heard when a robot master is defeated in a few Mega Man titles, such as Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 7. Roll shares the same victory theme.
- In the PlayStation version, after defeating Onslaught with Mega Man, you can then replay the game using Mega Man with an extra Hyper Combo move, Magneto's Magnetic Shockwave.
- The opening fanfare of Strider Hiryu's theme is a remix of the opening fanfare in the arcade game he appears in, with the rest of the music being a remix of the level 1 theme.
- The secret Capcom characters (Roll, Shadow Lady, and Lilith-Mode Morrigan) are the only secret characters to have their own endings.
- The home versions of the game had an additional two palettes for each character with the exception of Onslaught, who only has one set of colors.
- Zangief can transform into Mecha Zangief.
- Captain Commando has two win quotes that reference past Capcom games.
- "Thank you for playing this game!" - Reference to the ending quote after the end credits roll
- "The first Capcom game was Vulgus, back in 1984!" - Self-explanatory.
- Both Captain Commando and Strider Hiryu's endings are similar to the ones in their respective games.
- Captain Commando appears before The Avengers headquarter's monitor, informing them of his and his comrades' victory over Onslaught. When asked who he is, he simply says "I am Captain Commando." This is a recreation of his own Captain Commando game ending.
- Strider Hiryu remarks "Target eliminated. Mission complete.", then flies off on his hang glider. The next screen shows a humpback whale surfacing up to the ocean, then Hiryu jumps off his hang glider and rides on the back of the whale. This was the same exact ending in the original arcade game after he defeated Grandmaster Meio.
- The announcer is voiced by Sally Cahill, who also voiced Ada Wong in Resident Evil 2.
- This is the only Marvel vs. Capcom game to not feature Akuma.
- For those who are curious about the opening movie back in the arcades, here is how it happened. There are 30 different types of opening movies and each opening movie has 2 scenarios. The first scenarios consist of an exhibition combo of 15 selectable fighters but only one is selected randomly. Here is the playlist from the first scenario:
- Ryu uses his new Hyper Combo to Ryu-Ken and use his Shoryu-Reppa against Wolverine attempting to use his Berserker Barrage.
- Captain Commando calls Mack the Knife when Captain America jumps and follows it with an air combo.
- Chun-Li uses her air combo against Morrigan with the Hyakuretsu Kyaku as a finisher.
- Zangief turns to Mecha Zangief when Hulk uses his vertical Gamma Charge and Mecha Zangief uses his Siberian Blizzard on him.
- Jin calls Blodia for the Blodia Vulcan when Hulk uses his vertical Gamma Charge.
- Morrigan uses her air combo against Chun-Li with the Shadow Blade as a finisher.
- Megaman uses his Hyper Megaman against War Machine who uses Repulsor Blast by mistake.
- Strider Hiryu uses his air combo against Gambit.
- Spider-Man uses his air combo against Venom with the Web Swing as a finisher.
- Captain America uses his air combo against Captain Commando who calls Baby Head before the attack takes effect.
- Hulk uses his new Hyper Combo the Gamma Quake against Jin using his standing heavy kick before it hits Hulk, and finishes it with a Gamma Charge. On against Zangief on the other hand uses his Spinning Piledriver before he grabs Hulk.
- Wolverine uses his air combo against Ryu with the Drill Claw as a finisher.
- Gambit makes an air combo launcher against Strider Hiryu and uses his Royal Flush on him by surprise.
- War Machine uses his air combo against Megaman with the Shoulder Cannon as a finisher.
- Venom uses his air combo against Spider-Man with the Venom Fang as a finisher.
- The second scenario related to the opening movie is an exhibition of the new feature the Duo Team Attack. Like the first scenario only one of the two exhibition scenes is selected randomly. Here is the playlist from the second scenario:
- The team of Jin and Gambit take on Zangief and Venom using the Duo Team Attack. Jin and Gambit take their advanage using the Jin's Blodia Punch, pummeling Zangief and Venom to the corner.
- The team of Wolverine Strider Hiryu take on Zangief and Venom using the Duo Team Attack. Wolverine and Strider Hiryu use their combo advantage against the other team.
|X-Men: Children of the Atom • Marvel Super Heroes • X-Men vs. Street Fighter • Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter|
|Marvel vs. Capcom • Marvel vs. Capcom 2 • Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Ultimate) • Marvel vs. Capcom Origins|
|Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes|
|Captain America • Gambit • Hulk (Orange) • Onslaught • Venom (Red) • Spider-Man/MvC • War Machine (Gold) • Wolverine|
|Chun-Li/MvC (Shadow Lady) • Captain Commando • Jin Saotome • Mega Man • Morrigan (Lilith) • Roll • Ryu • Strider Hiryu • Zangief|
|Anita • Colossus • Cyclops • Devilot • Iceman • Jubilee • Juggernaut • Lou • Magneto • Michelle Heart • Psylocke • Pure & Fur • Rogue • Saki • Sentinel • Shadow • Sir Arthur • Storm • Thor • U.S. Agent|