"Avengers, Defenders, Thunderbolts, I make any team better!"
—Hawkeye's prematch quote
Hawkeye is a hero from the Marvel Comics, and a new character in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Orphaned at a young age, Clint Barton and his brother Barney fled to a traveling circus. Clint was trained as a master archer, and eventually became known to the world as Hawkeye, the world's greatest marksman. Growing up, Hawkeye idolized Captain America, and sought to use his abilities for good, Although there were some minor altercations beforehand, including being framed, he eventually caught the eye of, and ended up joining the Avengers. Hawkeye can get a bit cocky and hot-headed at times, but he can definitely back up his words with a multitude of specially-crafted arrows at his leisure.
Hawkeye would go on to join other teams such as the Defenders and the Thunderbolts, but his home was with the Avengers. This backfired on him, however, as it resulted in his death at the hands of the Scarlet Witch, whose powers were out of control due to a mental breakdown. Hawkeye was later revived, but took the new alias as Ronin, due to another hero with the Hawkeye name appearing (this being Kate Bishop from the Young Avengers, to whom Clint personally gave his blessing). But after Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers team, which included the villain with a deadly aim Bullseye posing as Hawkeye, were defeated, Clint realized that he should retake his Hawkeye legacy, even if by force (which included a failed assassination attempt on Osborn himself). After the Siege of Asgard, Clint retook the mantle of Hawkeye as a member of the revamped Avengers.
Underneath his costume, Hawkeye has blonde hair and blue eyes. His costume has a purple cowl with eyes resembling Wolverine's mask, and a giant "H" on his forehead. His shirt is sleeveless, but has a few armbands. Most of his costume resembles a typical superhero jumpsuit, but it includes large pieces of cloth from his torso reaching past it below his belt. His boots are cuffed at the tops like Captain America. On his back, Hawkeye carries a quiver full of many trick arrows.
Powers and Abilities
Hawkeye does not possess any true superpowers, but his abilities far surpass the average human, such as:
- Superb aiming skills, almost never missing
- Keen eyesight
- Skilled with a bow and arrow
- Proficient in other weapons, but prefers bow and arrow
- Professional-level acrobat
- Trained martial artist
- Makes use of special arrows of varying properties
Hawkeye is naturally rebellious and confrontational. These qualities have often put him at odds with his fellow Avengers, but he usually sets aside these differences to operate more smoothly in battle. Hawkeye can seem overconfident and brash, but as his in-game quote says "You're not brash if you can back it up." This quote may just reinforce his reputation as brash. He is quick to anger, and always voices his opinion, even when it may have negative consequences. During his happier times, he enjoys joking around in battle, poking fun at his allies and enemies alike.
"You're not brash if you can back it up!"
—Hawkeye's victory quote
Hawkeye can fill the screen with projectiles to keep out even the best of rushdown. He has all the tools a keepaway character could want, ranging from angled shots, projectile normal attacks, and a tracking arrow hyper, making him one of the best zoners in the game. Not only are his arrows quick, but they also have OTG properties. What separates him from similar characters are that his arrows possess special status effects, such as causing major hitstun or even inflicting poison. In addition, his melee normals are all very solid. At a range, hes a menace, but up close, he can combo with the best of them.
- Shock Value - (64,200) Foward + M. Hawkeye throws a small blue projectile that shocks the opponent, causing a decent amount of hitstun and is OTG capable.
- Double Roundhouse - (35,000 + 40,000) Forward + H. Second Hit causes soft knockdown.
- Slide - (70,000) Diagonal Down to the right. Low attack, knock down
- Quick Shot - Hawkeye fires one of 3 extremely fast moving arrows forward.
- Greyhound - Fires three projectiles each that has 3 low priority durability points that inflicts 45,000 chip damage. Amaterasu, Firebrand, Phoenix, Spiderman, Wolverine, X-23, Arthur, Frank West, Rocket Raccoon, Strider Hiryu, Felicia, Morrigan, Viewtiful Joe can all crouch under Greyhound.
- Hunter - Traps opponents in a weighted net that pulls airborne opponents to the ground and holds them for a short time.
- Spritzer - Piercing, cannot be destroyed by low priority projectiles, projectiles has 3 low priority durability points. Amaterasu, Firebrand, Phoenix, Spiderman, Wolverine, X-23, Arthur, Frank West, Rocket Raccoon, Strider Hiryu, Felicia, Morrigan, Viewtiful Joe can all crouch under Spritzer.
- Trick Shot - Hawkeye performs one of 3 special movements depending on which attack button you press. Light makes Hawkeye flip backward, Medium makes him roll forward, and heavy makes him flip forward. Pressing another attack button during these movements allows Hawkeye to fire one of 3 trick arrows. The light, medium and heavy attacks are OTG-capable and trickshot Icebreaker cause a ground bounce to grounded and aerial opponents.
- Violent Fizz - Causes poison status effect if hit, poison inflicts 300 damage per frame for 300 frames, hitting hawkeye removes the poison status, OTG-capable if used from Trick Manuever L or H, projectile has 3 low priority durability points.
- Icebreaker - OTG-capable if used from Trick Manuever L or H and groundbounces airborne or grounded foes, projectile has 3 low priority durability points.
- Rusty Nail - OTG-capable if used from Trick Manuever L or H, projectile has beam durability: 3 frames x 3 low priority durability points.
- Ragtime Shot - Hawkeye fires numerous arrows into the air, which all fall to the ground at once.
- Jack Rose - 3 low priority durability points, arrow grounded and inactive at 37 frames, arrow explodes on contact, explosion has 99 low priority durability frames and last for 8 frames when destroyed or 121 frames after grounded.
- Kamikaze - OTG-capable, first projectile has 5 low priority durability points, spreads into 10 arrows that descend after 35 frames, each of these projectiles has 5 low priority durability points.
- Balalaika - Fires 3 projectiles with 5 low priority durability points each.
|α||Quick Shot (Greyhound)||Shot||Front||Gimlet|
|β||Trick Shot (Violent Fizz)||Shot||Front||Gimlet|
|γ||Ragtime Shot (Kamikaze)||Direct||Vertical||Kiss of Fire|
- Kiss of Fire (Level 1): Also known as the Super Scatter Shot, Hawkeye fires numerous arrows with explosive tips into the air, which land in front of him and explode upon contact in succession. This move hits OTG.
- Gimlet (Level 1): Hawkeye fires a single, highly damaging arrow at the opponent, dealing 250,000 points of damage. This move can be used on the ground and in the air, and homes in on the opponent. While the move is completely omni-directional, it cannot hit OTG.
- Tag Team Special (Level 3): Hawkeye fires an arrow onto the ground in front of him that carries Ant Man, who then grows to normal size and attacks the opponent, and then becomes Giant Man and stomps on them. This hyper deals 430,000 points of unscaled damage.
- Hawkeye's alternative schemes are his Tales of Suspense attire, Evil Hawkeye from War of the Gems, Heroes Reborn attire, Ultimate Hawkeye, and the space suit seen in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. His DLC costume is his Ronin costume.
- Like many other Marvel characters who appeared in said series, Hawkeye's voice actor, Chris Cox, also voiced the character in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
- One of his intros has references to the The Defenders and Thunderbolts, two teams he served on in the past.
- His level three hyper, in which Ant-Man rides one of his arrows before turning into Giant-Man, was inspired by a classic Avengers cover.
- Hawkeye mentions "Cap's Kooky Quartet", the nickname for the Avengers after their first big roster shake-up, in his special intro against Captain America (both of them were part of this team, alongside Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, Magneto's children).
- He also mocks Iron Man over Force Works, a team he headed in the mid-90s.
- His victory quote against C. Viper compares her unfavorably to Black Widow
- Hawkeye was announced alongside Ghost Rider, Firebrand, and Strider Hiryu.
- Hawkeye is the first character announced for Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 to not leave the stage during his winning animation.
- Hawkeye (like Thor) counts as an Avenger when teamed with Captain America and/or Iron Man for their respective pre-match Avenger battle crys.
- After defeating Wolverine, Hawkeye says "You fight like an old man, Logan." This is a reference to the alternate universe "Old Man Logan" storyline, in which Wolverine, becoming a pacifist after all villains teamed up to kill most heroes, is brought back into action by an older, blinded Hawkeye.
- Hawkeye's Level 3 Hyper Combo is a reference to a classic Avengers cover, which had Hawkeye about to fire Ant-man. Coincidentally, Hawkeye's Aftermatch Portrait also shows him about to fire Ant-man, further proving the reference.
- Hawkeye's rival is Strider Hiryu, as both are highly acrobatic warriors with an array of weapons. Hawkeye has numerous different types of arrows, and Strider Hiryu uses numerous mechanical weapons in combat.
- Much like Guile's and M.O.D.O.K.'s themes, Hawkeye's theme is starting to become an internet meme, some videos has been created, saying that "Hawkeye's Theme Makes Anything Better" like "Guile's Theme goes with Everything" and "M.O.D.O.K.'s Theme goes with Trolling", the videos show some scenes from games, shows or movies that seems suitable.