"I've fought in more wars than you can count!"
—Cap's prematch quote
Captain America's gameplay is a defensive rushdown character. With great mobility and priority, Captain America can easily interrupt and frustrate other character's strategies. Despite his lack of versatility in all fields, what the Captain is well versatile in is his small and effective moveset, making him great to pick up for new players who can make use of anything in his limited skillset compared to others. His moveset includes a mix of quick and long normal attacks and specials that allow him to defend against a wide range of attacks, making him very easy to use, and is very simplistic in his brute force.
He can zone opponents decently using his Shield Slash to keep a safe distance and use it as a advantage to get in close combat, where he can unleash fast combos. His damage output is also packs great results from having some simple standard-type advanced combos. His Charging Star is one of the few anti-projectile attacks in the game, and could block ANY projectile be it a multitude of them or even beams, including Hyper Combos. Though sadly, the move was somewhat too slow to be of any quick use. MVC3 fixes this problem by not only making it have faster startup, but it had much more plowing power; though at a cost, the move would end sooner and the Captain would lose his cover, though its speed in reaching its target mitigated that fact. Also, the Captain's priority is more so decent only with is shield on; without his shield (via losing it from a Shield Slash missing and the Cap moving away from it), his normals are altered, but possibly easier to punish. This tends to make his Shield Slash a risky move in itself.
His gameplay was further expanded/refined in MvC3. Though his Shield Slash in past games was risky, now in MVC3 it can devestate in several combos. He possessed a difficult infinite with his Hard version Shield Slash in MvC3, but it was removed in the vanilla version patches and UMvC3. Also, his walking speed can hinder some at times, making him a bit difficult for speedster-type users to manage, but he packs a good dash. He also lacks grounded mixups, making it difficult for him to get in through defensive foes, though his Backflip move is a viable crossup tool in his possession, along with his jp. HP/S.
Unlike most characters in past vs. Capcom games, the Captain is one of the few who can double jump.
In UMVC3, Captain America gains a good amount of buffs, such as regaining his double jump, and readding his OTG Light version Shield Slash. However, his L Shield Slash can now OTG via TvC/MVC3 standards unlike in past games, making it a great move for extending combos unlike before. His double jump and Shield Slash OTG now give way for the Captain's combos to wreak more havoc on his enemies. Even his Charging Star thanks to its retweaked knockdown makes it a better combo tool than before.
|α||Shield Slash||Shot||Front||Hyper Charging Star|
|β||Stars & Stripes||Direct||Tilt Up||Hyper Stars & Stripes|
|γ||Charging Star||Direct||Front||Hyper Charging Star|
|Air Raid Kick||+|
- Middle Kick - Kicks to the opponent's head and then their stomach. Originally a double MK command normal in pre-MVC3, but now is allocated as Cap's standing M/B.
- Air Raid Kick - In pre-MVC3, Captain America does a more-upward version of his original jp. HK to strike midair foes. In MVC3 the animation is his original jp. LK instead.
- Anti-Ground Kick - Cap kicks downward with his rear foot in midair. No longer finishes air combos/aerial raves but can be more easily implemented into air combos.
|Stars & Stripes||+|
|Hyper Charging Star||+|
|Hyper Stars & Stripes||+|
|Final Justice (Level 3)||+|
Changes in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
- Regains his double jump, and all of his jumping normals (save for j.S) are double jump cancellable.
- Charging Star causes horizontal knockback.
- M. and H. versions of Charging Star cause less damage.
- Opponent's untechable time after a Shield Slash has been decreased.
- L Shield Slash regains its OTG property.
- Added some invicibility time to his Backflip.
- Reduced opponent's knockdown time after a Hyper Charging Star.
- Damage for assists γ and β have been increased.
- Number of hits in Hyper Charging Star can be increased through rapid buttons presses.
Captain America's most recent theme song is a techno remix of his classic theme featured in Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, and Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes.
|Captain America's ending involves the Captain being honored by the President of the United States. The President bares a strong resemblence to current US President, Barack Obama. (In Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, the President is replaced by Nick Fury.)
"...in our darkest hour, you were the light that gave us hope. When Earth was faced with a calamity of unimaginable proportions, you stood tall, showed us how to be brave, and prevailed over the threat that was Galactus. You're not only America's hero, but the hero of the whole world. On the behalf of all people everywhere, we salute you, Captain America."